If you’re like me, the kind of person which likes to play video games, you’d probably wonder what is the best TV for gaming?
For console gaming, you’d preferably want a big screen TV, and here are a few reasons:
- when you play split games with your friends you can enjoy a larger image.
- if you’re a kinect player, where you’re the controller you’d want the controlled character to look as closest to the human size as possible.
- a larger screen will make you feel you’re in the center of the action and allows you to immerse more easily into the game world.
- most games, but especially sports games, driving games and even MMORPGs are awesome when played on big screens.
How big? is up to you and your budget, but I would recommend to go for 50-inches and bigger TVs.
If you’re a PC gamer, and you want to hook up a TV to your gaming rig, keep in mind that FPS and RTS games are actually harder to play on big screen TVs and you might want to stick with the standard PC monitors for this type of games.
Now, what exactly makes a TV good for gaming? Following I’ve listed the most important features that you want to look for in an HDTV if you are a gamer:
- Refresh Rate – is measured in Hz and represents the number of times per second an HDTV is going to update the picture on screen. For gaming you’d want to get an HDTV with at least 120Hz for clear smooth motion.
- Resolution - most console games have a native output signal of 1280×720p, but you still want to get a full HD TV (1920x1080p) as you’d probably want to watch some full HD content when you’re not playing games.If you want to go extreme, consider the latest 4K Ultra HD TVs!
- Panel Type – if you’re going to connect it to your PC get an LCD-Led TV, for consoles you can get either a LCD-Led TV or a Plasma TV, it’s up to your preferences.
- Ports – connecting your gaming console to the TV requires only an HDMI input port, but make sure the TV set has at least 2 HDMI input ports, preferably 3 or 4 as you’d most likely want to connect any other devices you may have, like a PC, blu-ray player or a surround system.
- 3D – some gamers prefer 3d gaming as is the most immersive experience you can get playing video games. Remember that for 3d gaming you will also need a console/graphics card with support for 3D games and the 3D glasses.
Sony KDL55W950B 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native)
- Backlight: LED (Edge-Lit)
- Smart Functionality: Yes – Skype, Twitter, Internet Browser (Opera)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 48.8” x 29.55″ x 3.6”, TV with stand: 48.8” x 31.2” x 9.9”
- Inputs: 4 HDMI, 3 USB, MHL
- Accessories Included: Remote, 2 3D Glasses, Touchpad Remote Control, IR Blaster, Table Top Stand
Introducing a picture so lifelike, it’s like looking through a window. Images appear with natural color transitions and each scene in everything you watch shows crisp, clear detail. HD movies, sports, even YouTube clips and home movies burst off the screen with astonishing detail and color. Sony’s X-Reality PRO picture engine draws on its extensive reality database to display more color, clarity and detail in every image. Click here to read the customer reviews!
LG Electronics 55LB6300 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native); Motion Clarity Index: 600 (Effective)
- Backlight: LED (Direct LED)
- Smart Functionality: Yes – WebOS, Includes Magic Remote
- Inputs: 3 HDMI 1.4, 4 USB 2.0, 1 RF, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 Digital Audio Out (optical), 1 PC Audio, 1 LAN
Customer Review: This is an outstanding TV for the price. The images are exceptionally clear, the brightness is excellent, and setup was relatively simple. There is a slight glare on the tv, but very similar to others we considered and better than plasma. Blacks are sufficiently dark, the Vivid color mode was a good option (though we ultimately created a custom setting). We were able to setup the wifi to our router with ease, and in a few minutes, we had Netflix, HuluPlus, and Amazon Prime running. We were pleasantly surprised with how quickly we were up and running and also how quickly we caught on to the magic remote (just a slight learning curve – but we’ve never used a Wii). Read more customer reviews!
Samsung UN55H8000 Curved 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV
- Refresh Rate: 240Hz (Native); Clear Motion Rate 1200 (Effective)
- Backlight: LED (Edge-Lit)
- Smart Functionality: Yes – Motion and Voice Control with Camera Accessory (sold separately)
- Inputs: 4 HDMI 2.0, 3 USB, 1 Component, 2 Composite
- Accessories Included: Smart Remote Control, 4 Pairs of 3D Active Glasses (SSG-5150GB)
Customer Review: This television is amazing! I wanted to upgrade my old Samsung LED to this years model and I can’t believe the picture quality and what I was missing. Do yourself a favor and buy this television you wont regret it. Read more customer reviews!